Friday 9 August 2013

Week 1!

Wow.  Week 1 completed!

What a week.  After 5 days in a row, all of us volunteers are exhausted but loving it.  The children have been amazing - we're getting to know them all a little better and their different personalities. I've been trying to learn a bit of Ga, their main language, and they are all really great teachers and so excited and happy when I try to learn any Ga words, no matter how bad my pronunciation! 'Te oyo teng' and 'mi ye ojo bang' ('How are you' and 'I'm well') go a long way.
Isaac, on the right, always has the best photo poses!

This week amongst many other things, I've done things like meet with the Editor of the Ghanaian Times newspaper, written about a million lists, learned how to use a makey makey (amazing!), started to learn the 'Azonto' dance move and lots of Ghanaian childrens' games. My favourite is a clapping and jumping game called 'ampe' which is rather abstract so I was pretty pleased when I finally worked out the rules! (with the help of my new friends Olivia and Elizabeth).

Music and rhythm really is everywhere, particularly now we have been having music workshops with the children.
Solomon drumming

In other news, I have discovered the best drink ever.  This is a fizzy drink which tastes like liquid pear drops. So refreshing!

Here's the view from the roof of one of the buildings in our hostel complex:
I've had a couple of good sun-bathing sessions up there at the end of the day, surrounded by lots of cats and massive butterflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment